About the Library
The Downs-Jones Library is the primary location for doing research at Huston-Tillotson University. With its rich history, the library serves as the center for a wide variety of resources such as books, periodicals, media, electronic databases, and eBooks.
The mission of the Library is to support the curricular offerings of the University by providing materials that supplement the instructional program and meet the needs of the entire University. This is done through the implementation of the following objectives:
- To acquire, organize, and make accessible a dynamic and growing collection of materials, including background and transitional works for both the lower-division and the upper-division.
- To provide adequate physical facilities and equipment for maximum use of available resources.
- To adapt to changes in modes of classroom instruction by acquiring and/or producing materials in various formats of print and non-print media.
- To encourage students to read beyond source assignment for their own enlightenment, enjoyment, and satisfaction, thereby developing skills and habits for lifelong learning.
- To support, in part, research by faculty and administrators by acquiring, each year, selected basic and current works for that purpose.
Rules for using the Downs-Jones Library
The lower level is for quiet study only–please be respectful! If you are talking downstairs you will be asked to move.
No talking on cell phones in the library, please take your calls outside.
Use headphones! Music and movies can be distracting to others–we do not allow the use of multimedia audio without headphones.
Food and drinks are currently allowed in the library, but are discouraged near library equipment and books–please be courteous and clean up after yourself. Drinks must have lids.
While we encourage collaborative work on the upper floor and in study rooms, please keep noise levels to a minimum.
For more information about library rules and using the library, please see the guidelines for using the Downs-Jones library.
Please help us make the Downs-Jones Library an accessible academic study space for everyone on campus!