Student Health Insurance
Huston-Tillotson Student Health Insurance
The opt-out time is now open.
HT requires every student to have health insurance. If you are an HT student who has active health insurance, you may opt out of the HT Student Health Insurance until Wednesday, September 10, 2014.
Overview Notes to Remember:
- The student health insurance plan lasts a full year.
- All students who do not complete the opt-out process on or before September 10, 2014, will be charged $1,871 ($718 in the fall semester; $1,153 in the Spring 2015 semester) for the student health insurance and will be enrolled in the plan for the full year of August 20, 2014–August 19, 2015.
- Opting out will reduce your student charges by $1,871 for the year.
- Opting out requires that you complete a waiver form and return it to Human Resources (First Floor of Viaer-Alumni Building, Room 101).
- Opt-out forms may be audited to confirm your plan is valid. If the plan is inactive, you may still be charged for HT insurance.
- Once your opt-out request is approved and processed, a credit will appear on your billing statement.
Waiver Form download here
Questions? Download Student Health Insurance FAQ here
Overview of Student Health Insurance Plan download here
Why was I charged for Student Health Insurance?
HT requires its students to have health insurance because HT is committed to the health and safety of its students while students are pursuing their college career. HT’s insurance is an annual Affordable-Care-Act compliant plan and offered for the full academic year 2014-15.
Who is required to have student health insurance?
All students registered for 12 or more hours, all international students, and all students living on campus. These students are automatically enrolled and billed unless they opt out (see below).
When does the student health insurance start and how long does it last?
HT’s student health insurance plan starts August 20, 2014 and runs for the whole year, until August 19, 2015. This is an annual plan, therefore, students cannot participate in the fall but opt-out for the Spring/Summer. In other words, if a student enrolls in the Fall, they must stay enrolled the full academic year.
How much does the student health insurance cost?
It costs a total of $1,871 and is broken up into two payments. The fall payment is $718. The Spring/Summer payment is $1,153.
How does a student opt-out of the Student Health Insurance Plan?
If a student has their own active health insurance, the student has the opportunity to opt-out of HT’s student health insurance plan during the first two weeks of the Fall semester.
This opt-out process requires the student to provide their health insurance plan details on or before the Wednesday, September 10, 2014. Paper waiver forms will be accepted until the waiver website opens in August. Student insurance charges will not be removed unless the waiver form is appropriately completed, submitted, and accepted by Human Resources.
What happens if I do not opt-out by the deadline?
If the opt-out deadline, September 10th, is missed, the student will remain enrolled in HT’s insurance plan and the charges cannot be removed.
Have your own insurance and prefer to opt-out
of the Student Health Insurance Plan?
Deadline to opt-out is Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Becky Kangas, HR Generalist - email@example.com
Forms may be mailed to:
Attn: Becky Kangas
900 Chicon Street
Austin, TX 78702