Student Health Insurance
Huston-Tillotson Student Health Insurance
The opt-out time is opening soon for students who were not at HT in the Fall.
HT requires every student to have health insurance. If you are an HT student who has active health insurance and who is enrolled for the Spring 2015 semester but was not here for the Fall 2014 semester, you may opt out of the HT Student Health Insurance until January 28, 2015.
Overview Notes to Remember:
- The student health insurance plan lasts through August 19, 2015.
- All new students who do not complete the opt-out process on or before January 28, 2015, will be charged $1,153 ($718 if here for the Fall 2014 semester; $1,153 in the Spring 2015 semester) for the student health insurance and will be enrolled in the plan through August 19, 2015.
- Opting out will reduce your student charges by the premiums applicable above.
- Opting out requires that you complete an online waiver form here
- Opt-out forms may be audited to confirm your plan is valid. If the plan is inactive, you may still be charged for HT insurance.
- Once your opt-out request is approved and processed, a credit will appear on your billing statement. This process should be complete within 10 business days.
Paper waivers are no longer accepted.
Please use the online waiver site to opt-out of student health insurance while it is still open.
Email inquiries to Ms. Kangas at email@example.com
Questions? Download Student Health Insurance FAQ here
Overview of Student Health Insurance Plan download here
Why was I charged for Student Health Insurance?
HT requires its students to have health insurance because HT is committed to the health and safety of its students while students are pursuing their college career. HT’s insurance is an annual Affordable-Care-Act compliant plan and offered for the full academic year 2014-15.
Who is required to have student health insurance?
All students registered for 12 or more hours, all international students, and all students living on campus. These students are automatically enrolled and billed unless they opt out (see below).
When does the student health insurance start and how long does it last?
HT’s student health insurance plan starts August 20, 2014 and runs for the whole year, until August 19, 2015. This is an annual plan, therefore, students cannot participate in the fall but opt-out for the Spring/Summer. In other words, if a student enrolls in the Fall, they must stay enrolled the full academic year. And if enrolled in the Spring, must stay enrolled through the summer.
How much does the student health insurance cost?
It costs a total of $1,871 and is broken up into two payments. The fall payment is $718. The Spring/Summer payment is $1,153.
How does a student opt-out of the Student Health Insurance Plan?
If a student has their own active health insurance, the student has the opportunity to opt-out of HT’s student health insurance plan during the opt-out time the first semester of enrollment in an academic year. A student who was enrolled in Fall 2014 needed to opt-out by September 10, 2014. And a student new to HT for the Spring 2015 semester will need to opt-out by January 28, 2015.
This opt-out process requires the student to provide their health insurance plan details on or before Wednesday, January 28, 2015. The opt-out process is now online here.
Student insurance charges will not be removed unless the waiver form is appropriately completed, submitted, and accepted by Human Resources.
What happens if I do not opt-out by the deadline?
If the opt-out deadline, January 28, 2015, is missed, the student will remain enrolled in HT’s insurance plan and the charges cannot be removed.
Have your own insurance and prefer to opt-out
of the Student Health Insurance Plan?
Deadline to opt-out is Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Contact: Nurse Baker - firstname.lastname@example.org 512.505.3039