ESTABLISHMENT AND MEMBERSHIP
The Board of Trustees recognizes the significance of its responsibility to select the next President of Huston Tillotson University and has determined that the formation of a search committee would substantively support and facilitate the fulfillment of this responsibility. Accordingly, the Board directed the establishment of a formal Presidential Search Committee (PSC) and authorized the Board Chairperson to appoint its membership. As specified by the Board, the PSC is comprised of persons representing the Board of Trustees, Faculty, Alumni, Student Body, Staff and other support constituencies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The PSC is charged with the general responsibility to plan, organize and conduct a fair, impartial and comprehensive search. The PSC will be assisted by the services of a search firm or consultant and shall coordinate its activities with University Administration.
The Board has promulgated the following specific tasks and duties:
- Establish policies and procedures to govern the search and ensure the integrity and confidentiality of the process;
- Establish a timetable which enables the selection process to conclude in time for the next President to assume duties by July 1, 2015;
- Solicit the services of a search firm or consultant, evaluate responses and make a recommendation to the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees;
- Develop a budget for the search process and submit it to the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees for review and approval;
- Ensure the Board is regularly apprised of the status and progress of the search process;
- Formulate a communications plan to ensure that the HT community and stakeholders are appropriately apprised of the status and progress of the search process;
- Develop a position profile which reflects the skills, abilities, experiences and other selection criteria for the next President;
- Conduct a national search to generate a diverse pool of highly qualified candidates;
- Ensure the exercise of due diligence in the screening, vetting and evaluation of candidates;
- Recommend, from among the applicants, a pool of three finalists to be evaluated by the Board of Trustees.
Presidential Search Summary
February 19, 2015
The presidential position was posted and widely disseminated in the higher education sector. We received nearly 70 applications in response. The Search Committee reviewed applications and settled on a list of semi-finalists. The Committee engaged in two days of interviews with the semi-finalist. Based on the evaluation of the Search Committee three finalist have been recommended to the Board for its consideration.
The finalists are: Dr. Thomas J. Calhoun, Jr. - Dr. Deneese Lakay Robinson Jones – Ms. Colette Pierce Burnette
Campus visits for the candidates are scheduled for February 27, March 10, and March 12, respectively.
All HT constituents are invited to meet the candidates on the dates noted according to the schedule posted. Also, posted for your review are the candidates’ résumés/curriculum vitas.
|Dr. Thomas J. Calhoun||Ms. Colette Pierce Burnette||Dr. Deneese L Robinson Jones|
- Presidential Search Summary
- Presidential Candidates Campus Visit Schedule – Final
- Dr. Thomas J. Calhoun Redacted Résumé
- Ms. Colette Pierce Burnette Redacted Curriculum Vita
- Dr. Deneese Lakay Robinson Jones Redacted Curriculum Vita
Trennis Jones, Committee Chair
C. Lee Cooke
Albert Hawkins, Ex Officio, Board Chair
Carolyn Golden, School of Business and Technology
Gloria Quinlan, College of Arts and Sciences
Calvin McGhee, SGA President
HT ADMINISTRATIVE AND GENERAL STAFF
Linda Y. Jackson – Director of University Relations
Rich Oppel, Interim Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Sara Summers – Special Assistant to the President
Jeff Wilson – Dean of the University College and Interim Dean of Enrollment Management
OTHER HT SUPPORT COMMUNITIES
Norm Chenven, Founder and CEO of Austin Regional Clinic (Austin Chamber of Commerce)
Natalie Cofield, President and CEO, Greater Austin Black Chamber
Gerald D. Lord, Associate General Secretary, GBHEM (The United Methodist Church)
Teddy McDaniel, President and CEO, Austin Area Urban League