Alternative Teacher Certification Program
Huston-Tillotson University’s Alternative Teacher Certification Program (HT ATCP) is an innovative, flexible, and high quality program to prepare the most qualified, diverse, and effective teachers in Texas. Teachers trained at HT’s ATCP are educating children in more than 40 school districts in Texas and have a nearly perfect success rate on state certification examinations. The HT ATCP is accredited by the Texas State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) and meets the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) requirements for alternative pathways to teacher certification.
HT ATCP is ideal if you have a bachelor’s degree and are seeking to:
HT ATCP is implemented in a three-semester(Phase 1, 2, and 3) sequence with Phase 1 being the initial training prior to internship and Phase 2 and 3 consisting of ongoing training during the candidate’s internship, clinical teaching, or employment search.
- A new cycle begins two times during the course of an academic year: spring and summer.
- Spring application deadline is November 15.
- Spring cycle begins in early January.
- Spring Phase 1 classes meet 6-9 PM three nights a week (M-T-W).
- Summer application deadline is March 15.
- Summer cycle begins in early May.
- Summer Phase 1 classes meet 6-9 PM four nights a week (M-T-W-Th).
- The strategy for delivering training consists of seminars, workshops, and online instruction presented by real-world practitioners who exemplify best teaching practices.
Interested in our Alternative Teacher Certification Program? Learn more and apply with the following links:
- HT ATCP Application Checklist
- HT ATCP Application
- HT Application for Admission
- Professional Recommendation Form (minimum of 3)
- ATCP Policy Handbook 2014-15
Mentor & Field Supervisor Training
Elementary Level Certificates
All Level Certificates
Physical Education EC-12
Special Education EC-12
Single Subject Certificates
English, Language Arts, & Reading 7-12
Life Sciences 7-12
Physical Sciences 7-12
Social Studies 7-12
Computer Science 8-12
Technology Applications 8-12
English as a Second Language Supplemental
Special Education Supplemental
*Must also earn a content area certificate
The mission of Huston-Tillotson University Alternative Teacher Certification Program is to prepare diverse, degreed individuals for a successful EC-12 teaching career through a focused curriculum, supported internship, and on-going professional development.