Cooperating Teacher & Field Supervisor Support Page-EP
The HT Educator Preparation Program follows the Texas Beginning Educator Support System (TxBESS) frameworks in training and preparing campus mentors to give guidance and support to the novice teacher. The HT EPP provides a team approach in working with the student teacher, cooperating teacher and principal during the crucial first year. The cooperating teacher has been selected by the principal based on experience, skill, and expertise and will be playing a special role in the development of the beginning teacher.
Cooperating Teacher Training:
- Program materials are located below.
- Materials in the right column are for Cooperating Teachers who have not attended the classroom instruction provided by the HT EPP. This training is required by the Texas Education Agency.
- Begin by opening the Cooperating Teachers Training Module
- Download the other documents from this site, beginning with the ‘TxBESS Framework’ through ‘Becky – Class Background Study’.
- We recommend that you download all the materials to your desktop so you will not have to go back & forth through the webpages.
- The module is a MS Powerpoint file. It will open in the “Notes” window, so you will see the slide and the Speaker Notes at the same time. This is on purpose. Instructions will be included in the Speaker Notes window for completing the training tasks.
- The module includes instructions on how to respond to the various tasks, and where to send the responses. In “Notes” mode, the email and web links will not be active. You may cut&paste the URL into your browser.
Criteria for selecting cooperating teachers adhere to the TxBESS model and are as follows:
a) Understanding of beginning teacher development
b) Knowledge of formative assessments
c) Willingness to provide feedback and share instructional practices with beginning teachers
d) Effective interpersonal skills and willingness to work collaboratively with a beginning teacher
e) Demonstrated commitment to their own professional growth and learning
f) Demonstrated use of best practices in their own teaching
g) Effectiveness as a professional role model
In addition to the cooperating teacher, the HT student teacher also has a Field Supervisor. This supervisor will be coming to the campus at least once a month to observe the teacher implementing a lesson, view his or her lesson plans, and see that they are maintaining their record keeping responsibilities with grades and attendance. If you, as their campus mentor, believe the new teacher is struggling and in need of additional assistance, please contact us immediately. Student learning cannot wait, and as a team we can work together to resolve issues/concerns that may arise.