Dr. Julianne Malveaux challenges students to ‘excite dissatisfaction.’
Friday Oct, 25 2013
Against the backdrop of Huston-Tillotson University’s 138th anniversary celebration, keynote speaker Dr. Julianne Malveaux walked the audience through a brief prospective history lesson. “What were people thinking?” when faith leaders established institutions like Huston-Tillotson University, she asked. HT was founded ten years after the end of the civil war. She read extracts from a law at the time to reflect upon legal language such as “exciting dissatisfaction” as the penalty for teaching slaves to read. “We need to excite some dissatisfaction,” she said as she reflected upon today’s economic conditions and the need for a college education. She shared with students that they will not be oppressed if they make reading and thinking part of their daily routine. She reminded students that “many obstacles are self imposed.” While sharing her journey and reflecting upon people she has interviewed throughout the year, she closed with words from I Corinthians 16:9–For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries. Remember, “with boldness and audacity, I am going to do great things,” she concluded.
Charter Day represents the official celebration of the Trustees’ signing of the State of Texas Charter of Incorporation that established Huston-Tillotson College (now Huston-Tillotson University). Two higher education institutions—Tillotson College, founded by what is now the United Church of Christ, and Samuel Huston College, founded by The United Methodist Church—formed the college.The 1952 merger created one of the largest black Protestant church-related colleges in the country at that time. HT, an historically black institution, has the proud distinction of being Austin’s first institution of higher education with a history dating back to 1875. The University remains affiliated with both denominations and has an enrollment of nearly 1,000 students, the highest enrollment since the 1952 merger reflecting 14 years of consecutive enrollment increases.
Dr. Larry L. Earvin, entering his 14th year as President and Chief Executive Officer, has guided the University through several initiatives, including the recently accredited Department of Business Administration within the School of Business and Technology (SBT) by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP); the rigorous review by the Texas Education Agency of the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) that yielded outstanding results; the renovation of the Downs-Jones Library; the construction of a Communication Center; the upcoming renovation of both residence halls; and the recently initiated renovation of the Mary E. Branch Gymnasium and auditorium locker rooms.
Economist, author, and commentator, Malveaux earned her doctorate in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1980. Her popular writings have appeared in USA Today, Black Issues in Higher Education, Ms. Magazine, Essence Magazine, and the Progressive. Her weekly columns appeared for more than a decade (1990-2003) in newspapers across the country, including the Los Angeles Times, Charlotte Observer, New Orleans Tribune, Detroit Free Press, and San Francisco Examiner. She has hosted television and radio programs, and appeared widely as a commentator on networks, including CNN, BET, PBS, NBC, ABC, Fox News, MSNBC, CNBC, C-SPAN and others. She is the Honorary Co-Chair of the Social Action Commission of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and serves on the boards of the Economic Policy Institute as well as The Recreation Wish List Committee of Washington, D.C. Malveaux is the Founder and Thought Leader of Last Word Productions, Inc., a multimedia production company headquartered in Washington, D.C.
The Charter Day program profiled top ranking seniors listed below, featured the concert choir under the direction of Dr. Gloria Quinlan, and showcased the elite combo under the direction of Dr. Javier Stuppard.
Nahome G. Bete
Tochukwu J. Nwozor
Rae-Ann W. Spears
Megan E. Gonzalez
Isom B. Kelly
Computer Information Systems
Ronzelle D. Fort
Eric G. Johnson
Kliphton J. Taylor
Charles Wright, Jr
Patrick J. Agenonga
Simone O. Sawyer
Derry Dydell, Jr.
Angela E. Skaggs
Lydia Y. Urbina
Jonathon C. Garcia
Terrell N. McAfee
Jalal T. Goggins
Torian E. Grant
Ronnie W. Willis
The anniversary observation began with University Day on Saturday, Oct. 19 from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on the campus. At University Day, high school juniors and seniors explored academic options, received financial aid information, and learned about scholarship opportunities.
The week of activities closed on Sunday, Oct. 27 in worship with Pastor David Rivera at Simpson United Methodist Church at 11 a.m. Rev. Donald Brewington, University Chaplain, brought the message, HT student praise dancers celebrated the Word, and the Concert Choir rendered music.
Wesley United Methodist Church Celebrates HT’s 138th Anniversary
Wesley United Methodist Church members honored HT’s founding with their annual University Day worship on Sunday, Oct. 20. Members donated $6,000 in support of the University. Samuel Huston College was moved to Austin from Dallas and was housed at Wesley. The worship service featured the HT concert choir and remarks by Earvin.
Pastor David Rivera and members of Simpson United Methodist Church celebrated HT’s history by renewing their faith ties. During their University Day celebration, the concert choir performed and Rev. Donald Brewington delivered the morning message. Pictured are alumni Marcine and George Thompson presenting a contribution to HT President Larry L. Earvin.
History of the Institution
The roots of Tillotson College date back to 1875 and build upon work of the Freedmen’s Aid Society of the American Missionary Association of the Congregational Churches (now United Church of Christ). Chartered in 1877 as Tillotson Collegiate and Normal Institute, the school began classes on January 17, 1881. Many of Tillotson’s first students had no prior formal education. However, the eager students, who numbered 100 by the end of the first year, understood that their admission to Tillotson made them among the elect of their race and placed upon them the responsibility to enrich others through the skills they would derive from their education.
On June 2, 1909, a new charter was issued and the school was renamed Tillotson College, a “normal school” for the training of teachers for the black community. The school was reorganized in 1925 as a junior college; in 1926 as a women’s college; and again in 1931 as a senior, co-educational institution. Renowned for its departments of education and music, the college received class A accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1943.
Samuel Huston College
In 1876, the Reverend George Warren Richardson, a Methodist minister from Minnesota, leased St. Paul Methodist Episcopal Church of Dallas, Texas, as the site for a school for the African American youth of the city. In 1878, the school was moved to Austin, Texas, and housed in what is now Wesley United Methodist Church.
As was the case with Tillotson College, Samuel Huston underwent various configurations throughout its developmental years. Before the end of its first year, the fledgling school had been adopted by the West Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and renamed Andrews Normal College in honor of a church leader. In December of 1887, however, Samuel Huston, a farmer from Marengo, Iowa, donated property estimated to be worth $10,000, with the understanding that the school would bear his name. Samuel Huston College was chartered in 1910 as a private educational corporation under the laws of Texas. In 1926, it was approved as a senior college by the State of Texas Department of Education and in 1934 was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Throughout the history of Samuel Huston College and Tillotson College, moral and religious instruction undergirded the curriculum at both institutions. The schools also contributed significantly to the social and civic life of Austin’s black citizens. Located less than one mile apart in East Austin, the institutions enjoyed healthy competition and rivalry in athletic programs, cooperation in student activities, and collegial relationships among the faculty, staff, and students. These features became distinguishing traits of the two campuses, while the corresponding commitment to community service affirmed the institutions’ concept of the responsibilities that befell educated persons.
However, despite periods of relative prosperity, neither college enjoyed a wealth of material or financial resources. Consequently, and because of their mutual interests, values, and constituencies, the trustees of Samuel Huston College and Tillotson College met jointly on January 26, 1952, and agreed to detailed plans for merging the two institutions on the site (then known as “Bluebonnet Hill”) of Tillotson College. The merger was consummated, and the new Charter of Incorporation for Huston-Tillotson College was signed on October 24, 1952. The merged institutions adopted “In union, strength” as their motto.
Following the merger, Huston-Tillotson College became the sole provider of higher education for African-Americans in Central Texas until the landmark case of Brown v. Board of Education (1954), which launched the period of desegregation. Today the College continues to both honor and foster its relationship with its founding denominations as well as its ethnic heritage.
On February 28, 2005, the institution advanced its mission further by changing the name to Huston-Tillotson University.