Testing the emergency system!
Wednesday Jul, 06 2011
Follow procedures for your safety.
RUN: First and foremost, if you can get out, do.
- If there is an escape path, attempt to evacuate
- Evacuate whether others agree to or not
- Leave your belongings behind
- Help others escape if possible
- Prevent others from entering the area
- Call 9-1-1 when you are safe
HIDE: If you can’t get out safely, you need to find a place to hide. Act quickly and quietly. Try to secure your hiding place the best you can.
- Lock and/or blockade the door
- Silence your cell phone/pager
- Hide behind large objects
- Remain very quiet
Your hiding place should:
- Be out of the shooter’s view
- Provide protection if shots are fired in your direction
- Not trap or restrict your options for movement
FIGHT: As a last resort, and only if your life is in danger . . . whether you’re alone or working together as a group, fight.
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter
- Act with physical aggression
- Improvise weapons
- Commit to your actions
Remember: The first responders on the scene are not there to evacuate or tend to the injured. They are well-trained, and are there to stop the shooter.
What to do when law enforcement arrives:
- Remain calm and follow instructions
- Keep your hands visible at all times
- Avoid pointing or yelling
- Know that help for the injured is on its way